- Lupines prefer moist, sandy, well-drained soil and cool temperatures. They can succeed on heavier soils, but you really need to loosen the soil for their long taproots.
- Select a spot in full sun or light shade.
- Loosen the soil to a depth of about 1 to 1-1/2 foot.
- Sow seeds directly in the ground in early spring or fall. Soak seeds in a bowl of warm water overnight before planting.
- If starting seedlings indoors, you can transplant them when they are about 4 to 6 weeks old. At this age they haven’t developed the long tap root and will have a better chance to survive.
- Dig a hole 1/2 inch deeper than the seedling pot and twice as wide. Space seedlings about 1 foot apart.